Coconut cream, raw honey and fresh strawberries combine for a decadent tropical treat in this Strawberry-Almond Panna Cotta.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes plus
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1/2 cup cream mixture and 2 tablespoons strawberry sauce
1 tablespoon sliced almonds
3 quarts fresh strawberries
1 tablespoon water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 13.66-ounce cans coconut cream (found in the Thai section of the grocery store)
2 1/2 tablespoons raw honey
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1. Toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 3 minutes; set aside for garnish.
2. Set aside 4 unhulled strawberries for garnish and hull the remaining strawberries. Slice 10 lengthwise and line 8 small individual serving bowls with the slices, going around the inside circumference; set aside. Place the remaining strawberries in a food processor and pulse for 3 seconds; repeat 4 to 5 times to reach a sauce consistency, being careful not to over-process. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
3. Place the water into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the water. Let stand 5 minutes to soften the gelatin.
4. Put the cream, honey, almond extract, salt, and softened gelatin into a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, bring just to a boil while whisking constantly, about 12 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in 1 cup of the strawberry sauce. Cover and refrigerate the remaining sauce until ready to serve.
5. Ladle 1/2 cup of the cream mixture into the strawberry-lined serving bowls. Cool slightly, then refrigerate, uncovered, 3 hours or until set, or make ahead and refrigerate overnight.
6. Top the panna cottas with 2 tablespoons each of the remaining strawberry sauce and garnish with the toasted almonds and reserved strawberries.
Protein: 6.3 g
Total fat: 35.2 g
Saturated fat: 30.1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 32.1 g
Dietary fiber: 7.6 g
Statements and opinions expressed on this Web site are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the publishers or advertisers. The information provided on this Web site should not be construed as medical instruction. Consult appropriate health-care professionals before taking action based on this information.