Examples of helpful questions to ask your doctor, especially on your first visit to a new doctor, include the following:
- What condition do I have?
- What are the potential short-term and long-term effects of my condition?
- Is there anything I can do to prevent further problems or complications from my condition?
- What are my treatment options? How do they work and what are their potential benefits and drawbacks? Side effects? Cost?
- What would be the consequences of “waiting it out” and not following through with treatment?
- Where can I find reliable information about my condition and/or its treatment?